Re: [LUG] Multiple versions of Python

On 25/09/17 23:49, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Simple question. When I do my weekly system backup I see multiple
> versions of Python installed, from (I think) 2.7 to 3.5. Do I need all
> of them or just the latest? One forum I read said that v. 3.x is not
> backward compatible so you need several versions installed. Is this
> correct? If I don't need them, how do I selectively uninstall all but
> the latest please?

Holy crap, this has got disaster written all over it...

Mint is an Ubuntu derivative and thus inherits the same dependencies on
Python 2.x for various system tools - removing them will break your
computer. Various other installed programs you have on disk will have
pulled in the other Python versions as dependencies and will also stop
working if you remove Python 3.x.

Whilst it is definitely technically possible to carefully cull various
orphaned package dependencies from your system, for the amount of actual
space reclaimed versus time and effort invested and the potential
consequences of removing the wrong one(s), this is definitely one to
avoid unless you really know what you're doing.

I'd suggest this is exactly the sort of thing you want to mess about
with to your hearts content in a VM and leave well alone on your actual
working PCs?

Cheers