Re: [LUG] Ransomware

On 14/09/17 18:04, mr meowski wrote:
On 14/09/17 16:45, Neil wrote:

Generally speaking, you are safe from Windows specific nasties on a
Linux system unless you install Wine and go to some extraordinary
measures. No system is without vulnerabilities though, and Linux does
share many of the same attack surfaces (through necessity really - you
have to draw the line somewhere between security and usability after all).

So don't be complacent but as long as you keep all your stuff
religiously up to date, don't go asking for trouble and mostly just use
your common sense pretty much anyone can stay in one piece, even on the
modern internet.

Cheers

Thanks. I am certainly not complacent. I do keep everything up to date, using the apt update method as you showed me some while ago. I run that every day. And I keep a careful eye on all emails. I get lots of junk ones every day, but mostly trying to sell something or offering me things that at my age I couldn't cope with!!! Not many of them seem to contain malware, but who knows.

Neil