Re: [LUG] Computer Controlled Lighting

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017, Richard Brown wrote:

Hi All

I want to try to do something special for my family. Create a lightshow!

I want to try to get hold of 20 or so lights that I can control from the
computer - change colour/turn off etc. I want to build a lightboard rather
than have them attached to a ceiling. The idea is to have a piece of music
playing and for me to programme the lights so they 'dance' to the music.

Any ideas where I will find a product please?

If you want to buy a product, then go to Maplin. Look in the disco section.

Otherwise there are billions of projects centering round Arduino, Raspberry Pi and other small systems. The clever ones analyse the live audio stream too for frequency and amplitude, so no need to write carefully timed sequencer sequences. (Some of the plugins for the various media players for Linux do this too, if you want source code on-tap)

And when you get it good enough, remember to set it to Wizards in Winter by the Trans Siberian Orchestra and post a video when you're done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJrY3p9nzVY

(That's done with a DMX controller and timed sequencer)

Gordon