Re: [LUG] OT: Sharing NFS folders on NAS with RaspbMBC Raspberry Pi

On 23/08/17 16:00, mr meowski wrote:
On 23/08/17 15:43, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

This used to work before I had to rebuild my NAS. The hardware setup is
simple:

Synology DS212j with 2 x 2Tb drives in RAID 1 configuration;
3 Shared folders:  CASSIOPEIA, DIANA and PERSEPHONE.
Device Name on network: Zeus
Fixed IP address: 192.168.1.3

All folders have NFS permissions set as follows:

Privileges:

Admin      R/W
guest       R
julian       R/W
raspbmc R

NFS Privileges

Client: 192.168.1.0/24 [I tried with 192.168.1.3 [Cerce - desktop PC]
and 192.168.1.7 listed separately. That didn't work either.]
Privileges: Read/Write
Root squash: No mapping
Asynchronous: Yes

The Pi has a fixed IP (identified by MAC) of 192.168.1.7 so falls into
the correct range. However when I try to add a source in RaspBMC, for
example for Pictures, I get to the dialogue to select an NFS source,
browse to the server IP address and open it. However although I can see
the three Shared Folders listed I cannot open any of them; if I click on
one nothing happens - no error message just no activity.

The only difference I can think of with the previous setup is that I
/may/ have had it formatted SHR - Synology Hybrid Array - which as far
as I know is RAID1 anyway, and I only had one shared folder. That worked
seamlessly with no extra setup on the NAS. All I did was browse on the
Pi to the shared folder and saved it.
Wow, NFS still causing problems?

This problem will be the squash/insecure options being a bit
obscure/stupid on commercial NAS units - the Synology might be
disallowing non-privileged ports for NFS for example, or mapping user
permissions incorrectly.

I know you're using a RaspBMC rather than a Kodi but they all work in a
very similar fashion - check out this:

http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS

And have a look specifically at section 7, "NFS sharing from commercial
NAS systems such as Synology or QNAP".

Cheers
Excellent! Thanks for that.. I didn't find that page when I looked. The Synology DSM was set up as they advise, but I had to SSH into it and export the Shared Folders. For some reason I didn't have to do that last time; I suspect I did have it formatted as SHR and possibly Synology handles all that for you if so. Sorted now and working perfectly.

Thanks!

Julian