Re: [LUG] OT: Sharing NFS folders on NAS with RaspbMBC Raspberry Pi

On 23/08/17 15:43, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This used to work before I had to rebuild my NAS. The hardware setup is
> simple:
>
> Synology DS212j with 2 x 2Tb drives in RAID 1 configuration;
> 3 Shared folders:  CASSIOPEIA, DIANA and PERSEPHONE.
> Device Name on network: Zeus
> Fixed IP address: 192.168.1.3
>
> All folders have NFS permissions set as follows:
>
> Privileges:
>
> Admin      R/W
> guest       R
> julian       R/W
> raspbmc R
>
> NFS Privileges
>
> Client: 192.168.1.0/24 [I tried with 192.168.1.3 [Cerce - desktop PC]
> and 192.168.1.7 listed separately. That didn't work either.]
> Privileges: Read/Write
> Root squash: No mapping
> Asynchronous: Yes
>
> The Pi has a fixed IP (identified by MAC) of 192.168.1.7 so falls into
> the correct range. However when I try to add a source in RaspBMC, for
> example for Pictures, I get to the dialogue to select an NFS source,
> browse to the server IP address and open it. However although I can see
> the three Shared Folders listed I cannot open any of them; if I click on
> one nothing happens - no error message just no activity.
>
> The only difference I can think of with the previous setup is that I
> /may/ have had it formatted SHR - Synology Hybrid Array - which as far
> as I know is RAID1 anyway, and I only had one shared folder. That worked
> seamlessly with no extra setup on the NAS. All I did was browse on the
> Pi to the shared folder and saved it.

Wow, NFS still causing problems?

This problem will be the squash/insecure options being a bit
obscure/stupid on commercial NAS units - the Synology might be
disallowing non-privileged ports for NFS for example, or mapping user
permissions incorrectly.

I know you're using a RaspBMC rather than a Kodi but they all work in a
very similar fashion - check out this:

http://kodi.wiki/view/NFS

And have a look specifically at section 7, "NFS sharing from commercial
NAS systems such as Synology or QNAP".

Cheers