Re: [LUG] Debian 9 reinstall. UEFI stuckness

On 29/07/17 22:23, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> 2 beeps meaning main board reporting itself in good order
> BIOS set to failsafe options.
>
> Boot hangs after the message about looking for an OS on the optical drive.
> Boots from CD, mounts drives.
> Threw some errors copying files.
>
> The temperatures are cool.
> The graphics card is one of the newer parts, but I could try stripping
> the system right back.
> I think it can go on the spares shelf though.
>
> I'm bringing up a spare device meanwhile.

If you've put the BIOS back to defaults, is it not now in the wrong
"mode" to boot the EFI system? I'm obviously not sure quite how your
motherboard handles switching between BIOS and UEFI mode but it sounds
like it could well be failing to boot for that reason.

The crashes and errors copying files you mention could also be
symptomatic of the boot drive failing - have you checked the SMART
status of your drive(s)?

Cheers