Re: [LUG] Debian 9 reinstall. UEFI stuckness

I may have written too soon.
Just crashed, rebooted to gUi and crashed again and then wouldn't boot from hard drive.Â
Boots on rescue from Debian install cd and mounts the system drive.

Recurrent memory damage?
Main board?
PSU??
Somewhere else to look first?

I think it moves toward new box!

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017, 14:01 Adrian Midgley, <amidgley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 at 19:43 mr meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/07/17 19:29, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> It went flaky on Jessie, alas.

I'd definitely memtest it heavily

Solved it, with that hint.
Installed memtest, found both sticks of RAM have intermittent or variably located errors.

Thank you, Mr Meowski.

Replaced them with a pair of older smaller sticks I had retained, and it runs wonderfully well. Actually with only 8GBytes of RAM there isn't any sign of hanging around.

How much of that is from the SSD that I installed at the same time as the increase in RAM, and how much is from improvements between Jessie and Stretch, and how much is from *GBytes of RAM being a huge amount anyway I have no idea.

I think I'll work it back up to 16 or so though.

Gimp 2.9.4 is rather nice by the way, and worth the slight hassle of compiling on Stretch. 16 bit colour depth makes a difference to serious photo-editing.

A Midgley
--
A Midgley