Re: [LUG] Debian 9 reinstall. UEFI stuckness

On 29 Jul 2017, at 12:29, Adrian Midgley <amidgley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ran for years on each pair of sticks.

The old ones now in it suffices to install, set up, use, get configuration how I want it ...

Not booting to hard drive, but running ok on the CD today.  I suppose I need memtest on a CD

Debian use to have Memtest on install images.

Did you test the memory on independent motherboard?

Problem with Northbridge or bus or CPU will show as intermittent memory failures. Also bus or fans might cause heat issues, so you get an install, and then goes pair shaped.

Bus can mean almost anything you plugin, especially interfaces with DMA style access to memory. So SSD or Graphics cards prime candidates.

Some old motherboards did evil things with memory and simply resetting the default bios settings would be enough to get you memory problems but not seen that sort of bad engineering for years...