Re: [LUG] Debian 9 reinstall. UEFI stuckness

Hmm. Â15 lines I'll not quite because it is down to a text interface at present!

EFI does not appear, BIOS does.

So it is BIOS.

Nouveau gave me one screen, but starting Firefox have a crashed tsb, then shortly a locked up system. Poo!

Installing nvidia-driver gives me no text terminals unless I start in recovery mode, and no GUI.

and I think a hang on compiling the kernel module.

I'm wondering if my main board is just too old or if its 2011 BIOS which I did try to reflash a while back is responsible.

P67-DS3-B3 Âbios 05/06/2011

The Firefox thing had happened intermittently since recent updates to Jessie and Firefox.Â

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017, 14:47 mr meowski, <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 30/06/17 08:45, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> And in the non-graphical install, the option to install grub worked.
> Up and running, on one screen with the Nouveau driver. Next bit of fun
> will be getting back the other screens.

Now you're up and running what does the following get you?

dmesg | egrep "EFI|BIOS"

It'll be interesting to know if your system "chose" UEFI or BIOS mode as
you seem to have left it to it's own devices in the end. People are
starting to run into this more often now with Linux now hardware is
modernising and BIOS is being fully deprecated. It interests me that
perhaps surprisingly, Linux users seem almost universally conservative
on these sort of issues and tend to avoid UEFI like the plague for some
reason. I don't know why considering just how old, pathetic and
miserable BIOS implementations are - I would have thought people would
be rushing to welcome UEFI with open arms.

Cheers