Re: [LUG] HTML emails

On 08/06/17 10:47, Simon Avery wrote:
> I have no strong feelings on the matter of html (I use a modern client
> that handles it well) I also don't care about top-posting - at least,
> not since the mid 90's.
>
> Maybe it's the rain making me grumpy, but the PGP attachment your emails
> contain also adds to the overhead in any thread you participate in.
>
> This is un-needed to get the value of your words yet adds to everyone's
> bandwidth and storage loads, so is not efficient either. It's just as
> annoying as "stupid logos and graphics".  (As I say, I have no strong
> feelings, only that there's a bit of hypocrisy here)
>
> Not sure why you'd want to use the list to advertise your public PGP
> key, or care about encryption on a publically available list?
>
> Perhaps mailman needs to be set to discard ALL attachments?

I've got a much better idea - how about we all chill out and stop trying
to tell each other what to do? Filtering can be done at the individual
level *at your end*: if one doesn't like blingy email graphics or
considers PGP keys "bloat" they're more than welcome to institute
measures themselves. If a few Kb of email overhead here and there is
enough to provoke storage/bandwidth anxiety in people then why on earth
are they subscribing to a relatively high traffic public email list
(that is also archived conveniently for them in digest form on the
internet) in the first place?

We haven't needed rules on this before because they'd be frankly stupid
and arbitrary. If people want to include HTML nonsense, PGP keys or
anything else that isn't actively malicious in their emails do we
*really* want to start looking them in the eye and say "THAT IS NOT
ALLOWED COMRADE"? What next? Do we ban people for those automated
rotating quote blocks in email signatures too?

Let's be relaxed and tolerant of other people's ways, even if the
occasional email arrives that makes one's eyes bleed slightly. There are
way too many unnecessary rules and regulations in real life already,
please let's not contribute to the problem ourselves...

Cheers