Re: [LUG] Samba

On 25/05/17 17:21, Neil wrote:
On 25/05/17 13:49, Joseph Bennie wrote:
Samba is the unix implementation of the SMB and CIFS file share protocol.

â its not exclusive to windows. But they did invent it. And it it the most common technology for its use case.

Most operating systems can talk SMB(v1 - v3) and CIFS .

Personally I prefer other more secure file sharing technologies so I disable this even on windows hosts to harden them.

Do you mean that it is safe to remove it? I don't do any file sharing.

Neil

Sorry if this is stating the blindingly obvious. Just to clarify, this isn't file-sharing in the movie/music downloading sense, it's sharing files across your own network. However as has been pointed out there are other technologies that perform the same function.

Julian