Re: [LUG] Fwd: DVD issues Xubuntu 16.04

On 05/05/17 09:12, Tom via list wrote:
> On 05/05/17 08:51, Pentiddy wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> Newbie member, superficially conversant with 'buntu family linux.
>> Having an issue trying to play a new DVD (Captain Fantastic)- Have
>> installed restricted extras, tried all sorts of things to get it to
>> play with the best results being a very juddery pixelated playback
>> when drag/dropped into a vlc window.
>> Errors showing
>> *** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in src/ifo_read.c:571 ***
>> *** for vmgi_mat->vmg_last_sector != 0 ***
>> amongst other things...
>> is this all to do with encryption or is there something else that
>> might be causing the issue.
>> It smarts a little that it played beautifully in my mates macbook... grrr!
>> Regards
>> Anthony
>> Pentiddy Logo. <http://www.pentiddy.co.uk/>  Pentiddy Woods
>> <http://www.pentiddy.co.uk/pentiddywoods> / Pentiddy Woods newsletter
>> <http://www.pentiddy.co.uk/newsletter>
>> Pentiddy Natural Burials <http://www.pentiddynaturalburials.co.uk>
>> Heartwood Creations <http://www.heartwood-creations.co.uk>
>> Pentiddy Community Woodland <http://www.pentiddy.co.uk/communitywoodland>
>>
>> /
>> /
>> pentiddywoodsheader
>>

> Welcome. The problem may be the drag and drop which will copy the dvd to
> temporary disk file and then VLC will play that so twice as much io as
> required. Open VLC and go to Media and then Disc and hunt it down from
> there.
>
> Tom te tom te tom

Hi Welcome

I agree with Tom here,  I have Linux mint here and vlc works nicely but
does sometimes fall over, usually restarting it fixes the issue,   but
in this case as Tom said try and play the dvd directly.  Maybe also try
a different DVD see if that gives similar symptoms.

As you are in Cornwall then there is the Cornwall tech jam on the 13th
May, http://www.cornwalltechjam.uk/ someone there may be able to help
further too.  Perhaps Steve Amor can advise here as he is involved with
that.

Paul
--
http://www.zleap.net