Re: [LUG] Holsworthy Meeting

On 16/04/17 20:41, mr meowski via list wrote:
> On 16/04/17 19:17, Neil via list wrote:
>
>> I have been looking at some help files online about clearing the CMOS
>> using a button, but they all talk about opening up the tower, because
>> the button is inside. However, yesterday Michael showed me a sort of
>> button on the top of the tower, which to me means there is no need to
>> open up the tower. Have I got that right?
>>
>> By the way, do you live a long way from Holsworthy? I don't want anyone
>> to make a special journey because I am an idiot. (Which I already know
>> anyway.)
> Hey, don't go setting yourself up for failure here :]
>
> It's going to be a walk in the park when you actually do this. First
> grab a copy of your official motherboard manual from here:
>
> ftp://europe.asrock.com/Manual/Z170%20Extreme4.pdf
>
> As ever the damn page numbers don't actually line up with reality, so
> check the page numbered "9" which is actually page 15, might be easier
> to just skip to section "1.4 I/O Panel". However you navigate it, you'll
> end up looking at the schematic for the business end round the back of
> your PC where all the plugs go in. Whilst there are indeed several
> relevant hardware buttons and reset jumpers on the inside of your case
> on the actual motherboard, Asrock did conveniently put a CLEAR_CMOS
> button on the back panel as well - it's labelled "16" on the diagram and
> lives between the left most stack of PS2+USB connectors and the HDMI
> port. It won't be particularly big and you might want to have the end of
> a pencil or something a bit more delicate than the tip of your pinky
> ready to make depressing it a little easier.
>
> Section "2.7 Smart Switches" informs us that the CLEAR_CMOS button will
> only work if the PC is off and unplugged from the power (this is normal)
> so you'll need to do that first. Depress and hold the CLEAR_CMOS switch
> for 5 seconds or so and let go. Plug the machine back in, step back so
> you can clearly see the screen and power back up.
>
> That's it - simple! You should see the difference immediately - instead
> of the usual blank screen and insta-boot to Linux now you should see
> whatever fancy splash screen Asrock have setup as the default UEFI
> settings kick in and initialize your PC, just like an old fashioned BIOS
> init but prettier. You may even see it doing familiar things like
> "Testing available memory..." but I doubt it.
>
> Whatever happens next is critical but we genuinely don't know until you
> try it. With the UEFI now fully defaulted it may well decline to
> recognise your existing Linux install (which is on the 'old fashioned'
> system type of MBR formatted disk; no EFI partition; BIOS compatible)
> and will instead just sit there at some variant of the startup screen.
> It will almost definitely tell you what the problem is: "no operating
> system found, please enter setup" wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.
>
> However, your chances are at least 50:50 that it will grumble for a
> [...]
If you're still in doubt Neil, and want a hand-hold .. I certainly don't
mind coming over again... but it would have to be Friday/Sunday as I've
got a monster week ahead with a tooth extraction on Wednesday in Exeter :/

If you're feeling bold I can just sit in the room, and keep an eye on
things .. or I can do the scarier bits (I've dabbled in live 415V
3-phase cabinets now for my sins....) and am gradually building courage
... :)

Kind regards,

Michael.