Re: [LUG] OT: Email addresses and web contact forms

On 01/03/17 15:22, Richard Brown via list wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anybody know anything about web contact forms please? The issue is
> spam and spf records. If I have a web contact form and my email is
> rich@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rich@xxxxxxxxxx>. If I send the contact from
> results to that email address should I then use a dummy email address as
> the from email for the smtp purposes. Not sure that I am explaining this
> very well. But if anybody understands the question and can ask it better
> that would be really helpful. The reason I am asking it is that at work
> loads of our emails are being called spam now.

Ideally, you need the "from" to be (a) a real email address that people
can reply to, (b) from a domain that specifies that the server sending
the email is allowed to send email from that domain in the SPF record in
the DNS.

e.g. if you are sending from server1.example.com, with a "from" field of
rich@xxxxxxxxxx, then the SPF DNS entry for domain.com must specify
server1.example.com as allowed.

Anthony
--