Re: [LUG] Reinstalling Ubuntu

Hi

To be honest I would love to try to save it but.... I don't have anything like ssh running, not sure that I can boot into any other kernels. The only one showing has the same reaction and the system should be just about backed up. Might lose one or two things but nothing important.

Thanks

Rich

Youth Worker
07747 343637
http://gucu.org.uk/

On 13 Nov 2016 21:26, "mr meowski" <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 13/11/16 21:11, Richard Brown wrote:
> Thanks for the advice. Did that and now the system won't boot. I get a
> flashing underscore and then nothing. I can't boot into safe mode but
> not sure what to do next. I also have a USB stick with Ubuntu 16.04 on it.

Umm... ok. First, let's just check how important is this system and is
everything backed up before we go any further, I don't want to casually
wipe out your main PC here. Can you boot any of the previous kernels and
did your system require any special kernel parameters to boot before,
like disabling modesetting or anything like that.

You'll get much more information by interrupting grub, editing your
kernel boot stanza and removing any "quiet" or "splash" options so you
can actually see boot messages.

Does the system have SSHD running and listening and can you get into it
remotely from another computer? Or even ping it?

Cheers