Re: [LUG] OT: Bicycle and electrics help

I do which you luck. It sounds a great project.

The issue i see is pedalling the bike AND having extra power left over to create electricity as that would mean pedalling like you are climbing a hill even on the flat. BUT what you can definitely do is regenerative braking. So as you go down the hills you can generate- except you do need to be careful of skidding on a light vehicle.

By the way the thoughts I have one this are based on my father who built a little electric train based on a windscreen wiper motor that could pull a few adults along. My brother has the engine now up in wales and still chugs round his garden with it. My experience is that the engine had a fibreglass body so was not very heavy and when one switched to regenerative braking the wheels would lock and skid - which as you know from leaves on the line is not good for metal wheels on a metal rail. (As it can either cause the wheels to get a flat bit or, in my case, jump the rails) i.e. So you don't want weight to make the vehicle easier to move you do want weight in regenerative braking. The solution I never tried was I reckon a shunt resistor to switch in across the motor during braking to reduce the resistance of the motor. Anyway maybe I need to go to wales to conduct some tests.

Of course some of the group may know better....

Trevor