[LUG] Open Office - files locked for editing: Solved but for info.

Hi All,

This is was a really frustrating issue as the file in question is my MA dissertation. The problem is solved, but I thought I would share the solution, annoyingly simple as it was, in case anyone else ends up banging their head against a brick wall as I was.

The file was last edited successfully yesterday without any issues. Open Office did not crash that I recall. However today I tried to open my dissertation and it said it was locked for editing and would only allow me to open it as Read Only, or a Copy. I opened it as a Copy, then re-saved it under a different name. The new file had the same problem. I then tried another file - also last opened yesterday - which exhibited the same problem.

The file is a Word .doc file (as it's for submission to the university which uses MSO it seems pointless to write it all in ODT and then re-save it - potentially losing formatting). I have a WIndows 7 VM with the MSO suite loaded so I opened the same file in that, and it opened without complaint.

The file is located on my NAS so I copied it to my /home folder and it opened without complaint from there. I have changed nothing on the NAS (Synology DS212j) which is mounted NFS and always has been.

Before I discovered it opens when locally held I looked for lock files and tried recreating my OOO profile. Obviously none of that worked. This was all after ploughing through forums which all said 'delete the lock files'.

Why would it open in MS Word in the Windows 7 VM and not in OOO? Why locally and not from the NAS? The latter pointed me at the NAS as the culprit.

Damned if I know why, but I did the classic 'turn it all off and turn it back on again' and the problem has gone away.

Kind regards,

Julian