Re: [LUG] A noob tyep question - Linux not booting

On 12/09/16 19:19, Trevorexwick.com wrote:
> It's an 850 G3 so the very latest model
>
> I can boot a live USB ok

Hmm, it's definitely supported, Google reveals multiple people using
this unit with Ubuntu and several resellers offer it preinstalled as a
factory option so it can be done...

Firstly make sure that the BIOS/UEFI is flashed to the very latest version:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7815300&swItemId=ob_171546_1&swEnvOid=4192

Should be "01.10 Rev.A 8 Aug 2016"

Linux - especially the big distros like Ubuntu/Fedora/etc can definitely
handle UEFI with no drama anymore so I'd abandon using legacy BIOS and
stick to UEFI, there's no obvious reason why it wouldn't work.

I would try disabling the hybrid drive driver completely in the UEFI and
installing solely and directly to the M2 - you said it's not supposed to
boot in that configuration but I can't find any evidence to back that up
and my similarly specced Dell Precision (dual drive M2 and HDD) had no
problems running like that.

Can you report back what the automatic partitioner does to the M2 during
installation? Perhaps it's not creating the required EFI partition
correctly.

Cheers