Re: [LUG] off topic :but what Linux distro could read and write to a mac computer's external back up?

It's been a while, but as i remember it, HFS+ write capability was lacking last i
tried to use the HFS filesystem in conjunction with Linux (two+ years ago). Perhaps
if you could format the (Time Machine?) backup drive with NTFS, things would be
easier on the Linux side in regards to write access. Failing that, i remember Carbon
Copy Cloner being a very reliable OS X backup solution, that plays nicely with NTFS.
It does take snapshots though (bootable ones), but it can work incrementally, so
that fact is not necessarily a deal breaker when considering a user-files backup
solution. Though you wouldn't be able to write to the backups from your Linux system
(without messing with coherence of the backup image), i'm not sure why you would
need to. She is keeping OS X on the Air, right? So as long as you can access files
from another machine in case of emergency, Linux or otherwise... and the fact that
you have a bootable recovery disk is a bonus, should she want to repave a new Air in
case of theft or damage.

Am i understanding the requirements correctly?

Here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/hfsplus

it says that to get write access to HFS, you would have to turn off journaling on
the OS X side.

Tangentially, Apple are bringing out a new file system soon. And it's not ZFS...

Sheikh Micg al Huz <micg_huz@xxxxxxx>