Re: [LUG] What laptop do I need next...

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016, Tom wrote:

A friend is bugging me about what machine to get next. How long is a piece of string?

Then I thought - he has a piece of string already so can we measure it to find out what he does so what he will need. So is there a long term logging app that can give an indication of memory use and cpu use to get a rough idea of whether he needs more ram and or more cpu etc etc?

Any one used anything like this 'successfully'?

Waste of time. Just ask him how much he wants to spend. My laptop budget for the past 10 years has been Â400. Â400 these days gets a pretty good setup - for me. However his expectations may vary. If he won't give a price then start suggesting Â2000+ "gaming" laptops and see what response you get...

Gordon