[LUG] What laptop do I need next...

A friend is bugging me about what machine to get next. How long is a piece of string?

Then I thought - he has a piece of string already so can we measure it to find out what he does so what he will need. So is there a long term logging app that can give an indication of memory use and cpu use to get a rough idea of whether he needs more ram and or more cpu etc etc?

Any one used anything like this 'successfully'?

Tom te tom te tom