Re: [LUG] Plymouth Uni - over to (some of) us?

On 20/07/16 11:16, Martin Gautier wrote:

> On 20/07/16 10:41, Rod Sheaff wrote:
>> Dear LUG
>>
>> Thank you those who contacted me about this. My meeting with Plymouth
>> Uni IT honchos was much more constructive than I expected given PU's
>> until very recently almost exclusive commitment to all things
>> MicroSoft. We speculated about possible moves towards a Bring Your Own
>> Device, hence Bring Your Own Software, policy in the future.
>>
>> They agreed to
>>
>>  1. support an attempt to set up a PU community of Linux users -*so
>>     over to us...*
>>  2. with suitable disclaimers (i.e. users will need to rely heavily on
>>     other Linux users and the web for support), add a Linux section of
>>     the PU IT help pages
>>  3. with same disclaimers, also put onto PU's University-Wide Software
>>     Self-service links to LibreOffice download, perhaps also R (and
>>     maybe a small number of other good examples of OS desktop
>>     software? - but we left that vague. Suggestions?)
>>
>> Any of you connected with PU, please feel free to contact me direct if
>> you'd like to be involved.
>>
>> Perhaps the first task for a user group would be the Linux help pages
>> for use in PU?
>>
>> BW
>>
>> Rod
>>
> Rod
>
> What funding are PU offering for all this work?
>
> Yes, we should be promoting Linux as much as possible. Yes, students
> will benefit from moving to linux. Yes, university staff will benefit
> from moving to linux. Yes, that's what the LUG is for.
>
> However. The University is a profitable business. At Â9k per term per
> student, I'd imagine PU can afford to fund a couple of week's work to
> copy & paste generic linux support content into a glossy PU branded website.
>
> All cynicism aside, it may be worth contacting the marketing guys at Red
> Hat (less so) or Canonical (more so) to see how they may be able to help.
>
> Does PU have it's own CompSci Soc? It's this what they're for? We should
> hook up with them.
>
> Martin

Free software foundation Europe will also send you materials for
promotion of free software and related,   if you donate about Â10 you
get a box of flyers.  I have some here, so if someone drops in to the
next Tech jam , they can have a few.

I think those of you here,  who work in the industry,  and are feeling
the effect of the skills shortage could look in to promoting the
languages and skills we are short on,  there are info-graphics out there
telling you how much you could potentially earn if you know certain
languages, e.g ruby, ruby on rails (yes I know that is a framework,).
But so students can get an idea of what the Real world is doing.  That
information would be most useful for the tech jam site too, it needs to
be dynamic and reflect needs of the industry.

One question would PU lug meets be open to Lug members too,  as that way
you can bring in expertise from the LUG, it may not be appropriate to
meet in a bar as such, but a room but near to where food / drinks are
available.

We did a successful install back in the early days,  but back then we
had a box of floppy disks to start the install off,  we would have to
use flash disk which given 1 flash disk can be used on 1 computer costs
about the same as 1 box of 10 floppies that could be used on 10,  we
would need help to buy enough flash disks.  Eitehr that or use cd-dvd
media, but not all newer laptops have dvd drives.  as in we would need a
set of options.

Paul