Re: [LUG] Fwd: trying to rescue external hard drive(my sister bf 3tb drive)

On 22/05/16 14:45, Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint wrote:
> attempt 1 on old toshiba laptop (dual core, 1gb of memory very slow prob usb1)
>
> i am guessing having probs cos my laptop has not got usb 3 on it i am
> too poor to afford anything that fancy.
>
> external hard drive usb 3 - segate backup plus - pn 1k9apv-500 4tb.the
> light comes on and in link is the stuff from dmesg.
>

> http://pastebin.com/DEjck36H
>
> attemp 2 - on new toshiba satellite c50(usb3)
>
> i have now booted up the toshiba c50 laptop with usb pen with linux on it
>
> getting these results on that machine which has usb3 on it
>

> http://pastebin.com/bLHdYwr7
>

> lli
> any ideas what i can do.

"USB error 110" on the first machine means that the port/hub couldn't
provide enough power:

http://www.noah.org/wiki/USB_error_-110_in_dmesg_log

Your Seagate/Samsung unit is basically a piece of crap I'm afraid - a
cheap 5400rpm disk with a half-baked SATA3 instruction set. These tiny
little drives are very prone to thermal overload if running over long
periods (they're barely ok if you use them as backup drives - plug in
and use briefly, take out and leave for a week) so the manufacturers try
to work around it by setting the disk head parking parameters quite
aggressively, leading to a phenomenon known to sysadmins as disks
"parking to death". I've torn apart a few of these and countless even
more hateful WD "MyBooks" that have inexplicably died after very short
lives.

Unfortunately it's difficult to be sure what drive is tucked away inside
that nasty little case, and what interface it has - sometimes they don't
have a standard SATA connector. If you're lucky, you can tear the unit
apart - carefully - and extract the disk, then connect it as per normal
via a USB > SATA write-blocking adaptor or just plug it directly into a
PC. If it has one of those dodgy non-standard SATA connectors, you're
out of luck short of getting a replacement case from Ebay or wherever.

Whatever you do, check the warranty with your friend first!

So, get the disk out, connect it via SATA/USB to a Linux box and go from
there. It's going to be GPT labelled (because of it's size) and coming
from a Windows/console world presumably formatted as either NTFS or
(ex)FAT. If gparted can read the disk label and at least show you a
partition table you'll probably be golden, otherwise it's Testdisk for
you and a lot of patience.

Good luck.

Cheers