Re: [LUG] No wired networking

On 21/05/16 19:45, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is a link to the server specs
>
> http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04111079.pdf?ver=17
>
> On 21/05/16 19:30, Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi Paul
>>
>> On 21/05/16 12:49, Paul Sutton wrote:
>>> What output do you get from commands such as
>>>
>>> lspci, dmesg etc
>>>
>>> and perhaps inxi -n which should list network related information.
>>> (well
>>> it does in Linuxmint)
>>>
>>> Do you get output from
>>>
>>> ifconfig,  does it show anything for eth0
>>>
>>> have you tried rebooting
>>>
>>> Perhaps post output to pastebin then post links here.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> Thanks for the reply. This is the pastebin link:
>> http://pastebin.com/RHq0xAZB
>>
>> Thanks for the help.

Well that is odd .. it would seem, although this does seem odd, that the
MicroServer isn't detecting the card is present at all - there is
absolutely no evidence of it in anything. As its a PCI-e card, can you
check that its firmly plugged in, and that you do see some activity on
the network LEDs either on the front or on the port at the back?!
I have a MicroServer running FreeNAS at work, but its reporting:
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5723
Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 10)
Under lspci for me .. so whether they changed the underlying hardware or
not I dunno (NB. The second card I added to create a 2GB Bonded
interface as its a file server).

I'm not entirely familiar with newer Intel network cards, and a google
search turns up nothing useful - but I'm pretty sure it should work.
Hope it doesn't bode badly for the two HP 285 workstations I'm hoping to
buy, but come to think of it .. 90% sure they've got realtek chipsets,
so should be fine!

MJE