Re: [LUG] Linux 16.04 dual boot on Dell XPS L521X with Win 10

On 17/05/16 19:16, Matt Stevenson wrote:
> Hi Mr M
>
> Yes live boots ok no wireless drivers and search for additional drivers
> discovers some unknown devices.
>
> There is no hybrid storage. We did get as far seeing storage once. I
> figured it may be better to boot to Live then launch the installer. Hard
> wired Ethernet to be able to update and get drivers.
>
> Installer crashes ever time, from what I read in Ubuntu linux
> compatibility check and Dell have one too, it looks like this model will
> support up to 14.04 at a push.
>
> 16.04 worked fine in HyperV we were really aiming for dual boot
> preferably for true performance experience.

I think your L521X is sporting the older Ivybridge CPU correct? If it's
got the new Skylake model instead they're having all kinds of issues atm
with Intel fiddling around with the BIOS/UEFI updates. Either way, first
thing I'd do is check that you've flashed the later version as a matter
of course.

Have you switched the ATA mode from "Smart Response" to "AHCI" in the
BIOS/UEFI? That's required for Ubuntu to work on this model. Some XPS
models don't like installing from USB boot media in the USB3 ports, so
try the USB2 or the combo esata port you find on some Dells instead.
Disable secureboot and check the CSM settings as well while you're at it
- be warned, this can render your existing Win10 install unbootable (as
can the ATA mode change) until you toggle the options back or reinstall
Win10 with the new settings.

All the XPS/Precision M Dell laptops I've used recently have switchable
graphics (Optimus/Bumblebee) which absolutely blow under Linux. You
might have to try different strategies depending on the model to get it
to work including specifying no KMS on the grub boot stanza in the
installer. Nouveau *should* support the onboard Nvidia card well enough
to at least drag itself through the install wizard though.

Have you tried any other distros? Something a bit more bleeding edge
like Arch might have better support.

But definitely check up on disabling Intel RST, I'd bet that's going to
be your problem:

Cheers