Re: [LUG] Embedded hobby boards

On Sat, 14 May 2016 14:39:41 +0100 (BST), Gordon Henderson
<gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>May I strongly suggest you no-one buys any of the "Pi" look-a-like
>boards at all.
>
>Various reasons including reliability and performance, however the
>biggest is that the Raspberry Pi foundation have invested a LOT of
>money into research and educational projects based on the Raspberry Pi.

True enough but I think the main reason to keep away from these boards
is the practical one that the userbase and therefore software support
isn't a patch on what the Pi has to offer. I have a Beaglebone Black
and a Cubieboard 4 (bought cheaply secondhand) and they both have bugs
in the hardware design and in the case of the Cubieboard very poor
software support.

But those companies spending their own money to try and make a
product don't irritate me half as much as the BBC wasting TV
licence money making the micro:bit when I think that could have been a
lot better done by the RPF.

Kevin