Re: [LUG] Xubuntu 16.04

On 29/04/16 17:58, Eion MacDonald wrote:

On 29/04/2016 16:45, Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint wrote:
yeah i would second that view. I find doing a fresh install a lot more
successful then trying to upgrade linux mint/ubuntu/cub linux(still
not sure about this one but it runs well on a machine with low memory
and slow cpu)

mark

I would assume with everyone having a separate /home partition, that a
fresh install is always easiest.
However I tend do do fresh installs of Linux Mint /Ubuntu and OpenSUSE
but always discard old Knoppix and use new  original one. No /home stuff
saved in Knoppix.

I have so many other apps than standard loaded that a fresh install is a serious pain. I've got over 4000 installed on this laptop (IIRC thats around 3000 more than a full install) and while I never use some of them its a long process of trial and install trial and install to get some things re-configured. Just getting PHP debug working with apache can reduce me to tears! A good backup of /home and clicking on the 'you have a new version of the OS' is by far the easiest so long as you have some other form of access to the interweblys!!!
Tom te tom te tom