Re: [LUG] Calendar, address book server and sync to Ubuntu and Android

On 14/04/16 08:13, Richard Brown wrote:
Hi

I have read further and there are some interesting discussions around
the topic of hosting for OwnCloud.
1. Host it yourself - if you don't you're just giving the keys of your
data to some other party rather than Google, Apple, Dropbox, etc.
2. Use a provider - because at least you're managing your own data etc.

The thing is if I am to replace Dropbox, Google, etc then I need to
have some reliability and I would like to use GB hosting. So I have
decided to take a shared data approach. I am going to split my data
and use Dropbox to host my movies, I need plenty of space for these
and it is not cost effective to find something that large. This is
short time only and as soon as I can afford it I will purchase
something like a synology and move all my movies to this and run it
from home. I mostly watch movies at home anyway.

But what I would like to do with the rest of my data is find a server
I can install OwnCloud to and run it myself. I'll need around 100gb of
space, so it won't be large - large enough I suppose. And this is the
question. Does anyone know of hosting that I can use for OwnCloud
please?

Thanks for any help.

Rich