Re: [LUG] Emacs alt/meta key not working in fvwm

Just got home.

First thing I have done is try it in an "lxterm", which apparently is a wrapper for xterm in any case, and it works fine :-)

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man1/lxterm.1.html

So, the problem definitely appears to be with the xterm.....

Best wishes
roly

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 12:27 PM, Roland Tarver <roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 8 Feb 2016 12:14, "Tom" <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08/02/16 11:48, Roland Tarver wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> On 8 Feb 2016 11:29, "Tom" <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

>> Â> Time to go mad!
>>
>> O dear. Sounds like another can of worms I have opened!
>>
>> Â> I've wrestled with things like this before and it can be a nightmare.
>> Sometime you can get somewhere with a bit of code to check that the
>> keyboard and X are actually passing the characters you want - they often
>> aren't.
>>
>> Ok. Thanks. Unfortunately it's been a long time since I did any
>> programming and I wasnt that great when I did. Lol. ...
>>
>> You need a simple console version and then an X version tcl may need to
>> be resurrected!
>> Â> You are running the console through the GUI or logging in via SSH....
>>
>> The xterm is running in the gui. It's running in a screen session too.
>>
>> On the same machine I used to use a gnome terminal (rather than an
>> xterm) and run emacs in a screen session with xfce with no trouble.
>> Although I could obviously swap back to xfce I dont really want to, just
>> for this small problem.
>>
>> I assumed it would merely be a matter of a setting in a config file
>> somewhere. Bother.
>>
>> Hmmm...
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Roly
>>

> found this http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
> "appres xterm" may reveal something? or perhaps "stty -a"
>
> Tom te tom te tom

Smart. Thanks a lot Tom. Had a quick read on my phone and I nite prior issues with alt/meta keys.

Will have a proper look when I get home.

Many thanks
Roly.