Re: [LUG] Emacs alt/meta key not working in fvwm

On 08/02/16 09:05, Roland Tarver wrote:
Hi Folks,

This is probably really simple, but thus far I'm beat...

I have recently started using fvwm as my window manager. I use emacs
from an xterm on my debian system.

Since I began using fvwm the left or right "alt" keys have ceased normal
function. For example, "meta-v" should be a "page up" instead it
produces a single character, an "o" with two dots above it.

Interestingly the graphical version of emacs seems to work fine (still
running in fvwm).

I am not aware of any change in my emacs keybindings.

I have experimented with setxkbmap; the man page was not very helpful,
http://betabug.ch/blogs/ch-athens/1242/ <-- this link was more so. But,
still no success. :-s

I have had a look through the files found (on my system) at
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules, in particular the file base.lst.

I have tried setting an option...

$ setxkbmap -option 'altwin:meta_alt'

.... which the base.lst file suggests should be "Alt and Meta are on Alt
keys"

Am I barking up the wrong tree? :-s
Thanks for any pointers.

Best wishes
Roly :-)

Time to go mad!
I've wrestled with things like this before and it can be a nightmare. Sometime you can get somewhere with a bit of code to check that the keyboard and X are actually passing the characters you want - they often aren't. You need a simple console version and then an X version tcl may need to be resurrected!
You are running the console through the GUI or logging in via SSH....
Tom te tom te tom