Re: [LUG] Wifi nto working

Does she have anything else that uses WiFi such as a mobile phone? If so does that still work?

Julian

On 25/01/16 18:36, Neil Winchurst wrote:
My daughter rang me to say that her wifi was not working. Since she
lives some miles away I tried to sort it over the phone, but to no
avail.

I, my wife and my daughter each have a laptop running Xubuntu 14.04
(LTS) which I look after. My computer is linked directly to the router
by cable so I am not so knowledgeable about wifi. If there is a problem
with the wife's computer I just have to go into the room where it is
setup. Not so easy with daughter's machine.

I have asked her  to bring the laptop over in a day or two so that I
can try to sort it out. Meanwhile I am wondering what to look for. I
will check first if the machine will connect to the wifi here. If so I
will know that it is a problem with her wifi at home. If not it will be
something with the laptop itself.

So I am wondering where to look next. Can the wifi system in the
laptop just fail for some reason? I have never had any problems before,
it has always 'just worked'. Is it easy to restart the wifi program?
Would that be the way to go?

Any help or suggestions gratefully received,

Neil