Re: [LUG] Multiple Drives as one

On 24 Dec 2015 16:54, "Richard Brown" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have had an early Christmas present in the shape of an HP N40L. A mate of mine has moved all his data to windows cloud and he gave me his old file server. It currently has a 360gb drive for apps and operating system and 2 x 1tb drives for data.
>
> I would like to store my Dropbox library on the 1tb drive but I have over 1tb of data on Dropbox. A couple of questions:
> 1. Is it possible to make the 2 x 1tb drive seem like 1 2tb drives
> 2. Is it possible to encourage Dropbox to then use these drives please?
>
> huge thanks and have a really good Christmas.
> --
> Kind regards
>
> Richard Brown

There's a couple of different ways of achieving this.

If the machine has a hardware RAID controller to which both of these 1TB drives can be attached, then you can set them up as a striped array (RAID 0) - it'll then appear as if you have a single 2TB drive. However there is no fault tolerance at all, so if one disk dies you'll have lost the data from both.

You can achieve a similar setup using software RAID (see https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Linux_Raid).

You could also get something similar using Logical Volume Management, where you add drives/partitions to a logical group and it's the group that gets mounted (in very simplistic terms). See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_(Linux) for an idea of what is about.

I would say that LVM is probably your better route (out of the three options here) but may take the most time and effort to setup.

I'm sure others will have alternative ideas for you to think about too.

Grant. :)