[LUG] VirtualBox and real partitions

Hi All,

I would like to run VMs for Windows XP and Windows 7 with VirtualBox on my system, as I am currently triple-booting and it's a pain in the rear, principally because every time I boot into Windows I have to suffer Windows Update doing its thing, sometimes at boot as well as shutdown. Plus the only reason I run Windows 7 now is to update my SatNav as the TomTom MyDrive connection software won't run in WINE.

So I have three questions on the subject:

1. I would /like/ not to have to reinstall everything, and I have read there is a way to run VirtualBox on an existing partition, however I can't get my head around the various websites' instructions. Could someone please give me idiot-proof advice on that?

2. If I /do/ have to bite the bullet and reinstall Windows in a VM how will activation work? Particularly for Windows XP.

3. Will Windows Update behave itself?

As an aside a friend came over today who is running a Windows 7 VM, and he has not as yet worked out how to get USB support. With my SatNav updates being a critical requirement could someone also advise on that issue please? I did ask him if it would be possible to create a basic Windows VM and then overwrite the installation from a backup but he advised it makes a disc image not the regular folder structure so that wouldn't work.

Kind regards,

Julian