Re: [LUG] Putting a password on a file or folder

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Thanks for all that help.I am asking the wrong question it seems. I am
> not wanting the file to be encrypted at all. What I am looking for is a
> way to add a password to any file (leaving the file itself
> unchanged) so that I need to enter that password in order to access
> that file. As I said, when I click on the file a small window comes up
> asking for the password. Type that in and I can access the file. If I
> cannot provide the password the file won't open.

I fear the issues is that your model of what you'd like and the last 45
years of how Unix and Posix handle files and processes differ. So to do it
in a secure fashion would be a lot of work and to do it in an insecure
fashion would be pointless.

Encrypting a file and then unencrypting it as needed - ala GNUPG is built
into KDE.

One could change the ownership and write some wrapper to run the
application as the new owner, or make some temporary copy with your
permissions, but it would be a bit Heath Robinson.

What are you actually trying to achieve?

E.g. if you explain what threat you are trying to mitigate, then we might
be able to suggest how to do it.

In general if you can't trust your account to be trustworthy it is game
over, and no amount of subsequent passwords will keep you that safe.
Although I still encrypt various password stores, since the bad guys might
not see me type the passwords in if I'm lucky.