Re: [LUG] Virtual servers and snapshot backup

Simon,

  After all those various virt providers you mentioned - I'm confused whether you're
looking for backup solution or a local system that you admin - or whether it's a
"cloud" offering (man, I hate that term...)

  Since there's no other replies with free/open solutions - which I'd be interested
in myself - then I'd better just chip in with something I've used...

  So - with some intrepidation - I "recommend" Acronis (I never thought I'd see
myself type that) for ESXi installations...

  You need a Management VM / PM to control all the backup schedules, etc, and then
you push an agent on to each ESXi Host. The agent is actually a simple Linux VM -
unfortunately it's dressed up to look like a WinXP VM if you ever access it (which
you shouldn't need to).

  So, that agent quiesces the VMs on its host and backs them up for you.

  It can also deal with PMs if you have a mixed physical / virtual setup.

Try it and see...

Cheers,

Steve