[LUG] Virtual servers and snapshot backup

Okay, looking to deploy a new virtual server (or maybe more).

I've used Amazon AWS, Bytemark, Rackspace, VMWare....

In the past I used Flexiscale, and whilst they were the least reliable, they
had the best user interface (if we ignore https://sig-io.nl/ where you just
emailed Mark and said "make it so").

Flexiscale is now Flexiant, selling their cloud orchestration software, which
looks cool in a 'you can get migrate away from other virtualisation solutions
with lousy interfaces really easily kind of way' ;)

My particular bugbear with all of them is backups. Even Flexiscale forced you
to use the API to schedule a snapshot backup.

AWS can do everything just learn to script the API....

Rackspace want a cloud agent.

Seems simple to me, you own a server you need backups, the virtualisation
software will do (with some coercion in some places) snapshots, probably copy
on write. I want routine backups, I want to be able to back them up to a
remote provider with some efficiency.

No one seems to offer to do sensible automated backups. The best of those above
in my view is Rackspace who want an agent on the server, but then let you
schedule and manage it sensibly.

Strictly agents are probably needed to quiesce the file systems for the point
of backups, so AWS can probably be made to work with a local cron job to
quiesce the system, and snapshot it, but it is still a fair bit of roll it
yourself around sticking it in Amazon storage etc.

Anyone seen a really clean backups solutions for virtual servers, bonus points
if it works with encrypted volumes, and uses strong encryption appropriately
to keep my data safe, and uses free software. Has to work with Debian Jessie
(what else is there?).