Re: [LUG] Safety Check

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 09:57:29AM +0000, Tony Sumner wrote:
> I have been looking at programs for storing encrypted passwords and keepass
> for example used SHA with 256 bits. The Apple app does too. But is this enough?

SHA 256 is a hashing algorithm. It's not used for encryption. The
difference is a bit subtle but not something you should worry about.

Some password managers are better than others. The particular encryption
algorithm used is never really the problem. The implemntation of the
algorithm could be done in an insecure way, but I don't know of any
password managers where this led to a practical attack.

Choose a strong master password. And do remember that if someone gets
hold of your master password, they can access all your passwords. So do
keep this in mind when storing your most secure passwords in the
password manager.

Martijn.