Re: [LUG] Safety Check

On 14/11/2015 08:42, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I recently watched some programs on the TV about scams and such. Scary.
> Anyway I do try to be safe online, though my wife thinks I am a bit OTT.
>
> Computer.
> I use Linux only, not MS or Apple.
> It is linked to the router by cable, no wifi.
> The UFW firewall is on.
> I always run any updates.
> However, no anti-virus.
>
> Email
> I do use the spam filter.
> I am very careful about what links I click on.
>
> Browser
> I use noscript, ghostery, AdBlock plus, Privacy Badger
> However at the moment I do not use any VPN.
> Mostly when browsing I use Duckduckgo or Startpage.
>
> Phone
> I do have a mobile phone, but it is not a smart phone.
>
> So am I OTT? Or do I not do enough?
>
> I  would be interested in any comments,
>
> Neil

Somewhat similar browser usage. No smart phone. but use both MS OS and
Linux, with anti-virus and ant-malware etc suite on MS Windows
(different from suite used by ISP for emails, so two separate checks on
emails)
However only transmit in pure text for emails. Incoming 'reduces ' to
pure text and if necessary (folk at work use formatting in colour to
adjust/ reply to texts!!) open email in a webmail suite specific to firm.
Concur only cable to router when doing 'serious business'  or using
Knoppix, or upgrading  OS.
Extra: I have leaks/ visibility  (ports open) checked monthly at worst
by use of www.grc.com to 'attack me'.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald