Re: [LUG] Web based emails

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 12:00:54PM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> Since google's software is closed source, you cannot know whether
> Roundcube is either less, or more, secure.  All you *can* say is that,
> as Roundcube is open source, any security shortcomings will come to
> light sooner or later, as a result of code scrutiny.

In theory. In practise, code review of open source projects is often
below par. Things have improved a bit recently following Heartbleed, and
major players on the Internet (including Google and Microsoft) are now
donating money for code review, but it remains a serious weakness.
"Many eyes make all bugs shallow" assumes that a) many eyes are indeed
looking and b) that those eyes are doing so with the intent to fix,
rather than to break the code.

It's also worth noting that, even if Google made all its algorithms open
source, we'd have no way to verify whether this is indeed the code that
runs on their servers. This applies just as much to, say,
dcglug.org.uk. In theory it runs WordPress, which is open source. In
practice, we have no way of verifying whether Paul or Gordon or whoever
runs it has added one or two lines of code to capture all our login
details, or have tweaked the kernel (or the hardware) to the same
effect.

Open source matters in security when you're running someone else's code
on your own devices and you're worried about that person or entity
having added (or having been forced to add) backdoors. When the code is
run on someone else's server, you've already lost so much control, it
matters very little.

Martijn.