Re: [LUG] Web based emails

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 16:27:30 +0100
Jason Witcher <jaydoubleyou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 22 October 2015 at 16:18, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > I have been looking at my computer set up at home, and I have
> > decided that some tidying up is in order. One thing that definitely
> > needs sorting out is my emails.
> >
> > I have a personal web site and use it for emails, with various
> > account names.  A lot of these are for web sites that I access just
> > occasionally, eg Amazon, Healthspan, photo.net, Book Depository  and
> > many more. (Am I alone in this?) Most sites which require some form
> > of registration ask for a valid email address.
> >
> > Anyway, it has occurred to me that it would be useful to have a free
> > web mail account set up for such items. This  would leave my normal
> > email site less cluttered, and also keep all such emails out of the
> > way in one place.
> >
> > So I have been looking around the web for a good one, IMAP being
> > preferred, and of course there are just so many. I definitely do not
> > want gmail, yahoomai, AOL mail etc. So I am hoping for some guidance
> > with this.
> >
> > Is this a good idea? Can anyone suggest a good email site for this?
> > One I came across was yandex, which looked good but turned out to
> > be based in Russia, which may or may not matter.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Neil
> >
> I use Spamgourmet (https://www.spamgourmet.com) - you sign up for an
> account with them, then give out email addresses in the form
> xxxx.yourusername@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - the xxxx can be anything you
> want. The site will only forward 3 emails, although you can change
> this if you need to. If you decide you want to carry on receiving the
> emails, just change your address with the sender.

Thanks, I have heard of them, but it is not what I am looking for. What
I want is a webmail address that I can use to register with a web site
that I will probably use very rarely. A good example is Lett's which I
go to once a year to buy a new diary. Otherwise I never access their
site. When I first used them I had to register, including an email
address. So a web mail address would have been ideal.

I am not looking for anything clever like encryption, just somewhere to
keep such emails, out of the way of the ones I use all the time.

Neil