Re: [LUG] Fwd: EPA opposed DMCA exemptions that could have revealed Volkswagen fraud

On 2 October 2015 00:28:26 BST, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2015-09-29 15:32, Simon Avery wrote:

* @VW All software on your vehicles needs to be free software without
DRM to restore our trust #DRMshame https://u.fsf.org/fraud

That's an interesting point but, y'know, I'm not sure I'd want to buy,
or even share a road with, a car that had had its firmware modified by
the driver or downloaded off a random website.

That doesn't excuse the trust broken by VW and others, but this isn't
the way to keep roads safe.

One could have free software with some sort of MOT safety check.

Although you routinely share the road with people who do their own car
repairs so maybe it isn't such a rash idea.

Interesting point. I have an old Land Rover and have replaced most components over time including the brakes and feel like I have done a good safe job. I have also seen extremely shoddy work done by professional mechanics and even more shoddy work done by professional software developers.

They should either release the code for review and/or adopt the approach used in F1 which is standard ECU's with anti-tampering control built in.

Kevin