Re: [LUG] VPN

On 26/09/15 22:30, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 12:23:02AM +0000, mr meowski wrote:
>> You really shouldn't be doing that. You guys know that it's owned by an
>> ad company right?
>>
>> http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/31/ghostery-a-web-tracking-blocker-that-actually-helps-the-ad-industry/
>
> So what?
>
> If I disliked ads, I'd have used an ad-blocker. Ghostery is to stop
> tracking.
>
> Martijn.

Hi Martijn, I see what you're saying but, no, hang on wait a sec, I don't.

You don't see the problem here? Honestly?

Oh, you think that the check box in the settings which says "please
tracking company that makes my anti-tracking software not track me"
actually works? Look, I'm not saying it doesn't work - I've not
tcpdumped a machine that has it on. Maybe Evidon are a lovely, honest,
sweet company. Maybe Ghostery is a brilliant extension that really
doesn't lie and move behind your back because no company in the world
with a vested interest in screwing us has ever, you know, lied and
screwed us.

I'm still not saying you're wrong, or that I even disagree. Apparently
my trust threshold has just been recalibrated by recent history a lot,
lot lower than yours.

Cheers

PS: Actually used ghostery myself for a long while. Currently replaced
with Privacy Badger, Lightbeam and Disconnect.