Re: [LUG] Bletchley Park & The National Museum Of Computing... anyone been?

I spent as long as I can spend on most places and enjoyed it. Less than all day in Station X and I'd have liked a bit longer than the residue for the museum. If the museum is fully open i could spend at least half a day.

Read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson to get in the mood.

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 22:58ÂGordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Rob Beard wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> This Wednesday I'm hoping to visit Bletchley Park and The National Museum Of
> Computing. I was heading that way to drop my kids off to their mum for a
> week and it just worked out like a good meeting place and I've always wanted
> to visit.
>
> I've had a quick browse of the web sites but I wondered if anyone on here has
> been and could advise how long I should allow for each place?
>
> To be fair I'm interested in the great work they did at Bletchley Park but
> I'm more interested in the Museum Of Computing with their room full of old
> machines and mainframes. I expect I'll probably be there all day from about
> 9:30am ish but I wondered if perhaps they are big enough to warrant a day for
> each place?

I've been a few times.

You need to know that they are two separate entities and you need to pay
separately for each.

You do not have to pay to get into Bletchley just to get into TNMoC -
although the security goons will try to make you do so.

This may have changed in the past year, so do check, but last time I went
that was the case.

Bletchley is expensive to get into and .. well, I won't go to see it
again. There is a working bombe replica and enigma machines to see - along
with some other history, but TNMoC is far more exciting IMO.

You can do both in a day. It all depends on how much war history you want
to look at.

Gordon