Re: [LUG] Owncloud - anyone using it?

On Sun, 2 Aug 2015, Gordon Henderson wrote:

I noticed a thread here recently about it and I've just had a cursory look. What I can't find is how it works from a Linux desktop system (or laptop, etc). The website makes mention of "Desktop clients" and I don't want desktop, I want command-line. I actually want to simply 'cp' a file into a folder that's "in the cloud".

So does it work like NFS/CIFS ?

And from a Mac? (will it "just work" and integrate seamlessly into the Mac environment?)

I notice the Android client costs 69p but there is a free version of the same code - which wants more phone permissions than the paid-for one.

(Any way to run apps on an android that wants access to your phone call logs without giving it access?)

And are there any alternatives?

thanks for the replies so-far.

Whatever I use has to "just work" for my wife who is now using a Mac... laptop something. She needs the ability to sync photos from her (android, non rooted) phone, possibly an android tablet, her mac laptop thing and Linux desktop every which way basically. If only I could nfs mount stuff...

I have my own servers, so that side of things isn't an issue.

webdav looks interesting - some food for thought, thanks.

Gordon