Re: [LUG] Owncloud - anyone using it?

You can mount the cloud-based storage using WebDAV / davfs and then everything works as a normal directory on the local file system.

Your mileage may vary depending on how you intend to use the storage facilities provided by ownCloud although I don't have any problems. I haven't personally looked but have read some posts criticising the WebDAV implementation in ownCloud (I think it's quite simple and other means such as git / SVN are better at (and actually designed for) handling source code repositories) and also have heard of some users experiencing problems due to davfs on their system caching everything when mounting (it seems slow because on each mount very large files are being downloaded in full).

You can also use other WebDAV compatible tools such as cadaver:

http://www.webdav.org/cadaver/

Some more information on mounting ownCloud storage using WebDAV can be found at:

https://doc.owncloud.org/server/7.0/user_manual/files/files.html

On Android I use FolderSync for directories and ownCloud Bookmarks for bookmarks.

Thanks,
Ben