Re: [LUG] OT w10 update

On 30/07/2015 09:17, Kevin Peat wrote:
> On 30 July 2015 08:48:53 BST, Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> it
>>>
>>> Testing extensively at $DAYJOB. Will report back shortly. If it's on
>>> dual boot system with one specified boot disk I can tell you for sure
>> it
>>> will undoubtedly bork grub, just as it always has by helpfully
>>> overwriting it. A live installer/chroot grub reinstall will be
>> required
>>> as per normal.
>>>
>>> You can actually work around this now with UEFI+secure boot by
>> creating
>>> individual signed EFI loader entries.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>

>> I have no UEFI stuff due to its inherent insecurity.
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>
>> --
>
> Read this and decided to stick with Win7 for my gaming box for the foreseeable
> future,
>
> https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/
>
> Hopefully Valve will come up with a decent Linux based gaming solution soon.
>
> Kevin

I have tried two 10240 installs at present. One on a Virtual Machine
inside windows 7 , went well, all data from previous test went into new
version 10240.
Second on a Windows (Vista) machine with Linux dual boot.
Previously the older test build loaded but did not 'crush' GRUB, as GRUB
and Linux on second hard disk which was usable for Linux and vista by
using live CD "Supergrub" which would allow the Linux and Vista to load.
The Win 10 boot screen showed the choice page with a non operative
second OS. (first hard disk old Win loader changed)
I have not tried build 10240 on this second hard disc as it now demands
older Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or key.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald