Re: [LUG] HP ProLiant MicroServer N54L Fan Noise

Noisy fan:Â
- Is it noisier than when it first went in? Dust builds up on the leading edge of the fan blades and creates noise and vibration. A simple clean sorts it out. (To isolate noise in a busy case with several possible sources, just put a finger to stop a fan, or a carefully positioned screwdriver handle if you're not brave)
- If it's always been noisy or that doesn't sort it: Change the fan for a quieter model. IIRC the micro has a passive heatsink so it's only the case fan and hdds that make any noise, so a nice same-sized replacement with slightly less aggressive blades will help - and probably not make much real-world difference to temps. Although HP's microserver is designed with a passing consideration to noise, it's still a server and also designed down to a price.Â

Loft:
- I like putting servers in lofts. It can be a good solution, but lack of power is obviously an issue. I ran an extension lead up through some fitted wardrobes, through the ceiling to do mine. WFM and I can power cycle if I want to be brutal about it from downstairs.
- Are you sure there's no power? It's not uncommon for lofts to have a socket somewhere to power a TV Booster or mast head amplifier.
- Not strongly recommended; Make an adapter for the light switch socket to power a 13a socket. But this is both tricky to do and unsafe, as you can't guarantee somebody won't put a 13a load on the socket and melt wiring. Better to get a proper feed in.Â
- On balance this is probably not a solution for you unless you have a socket up there.