Re: [LUG] HP ProLiant MicroServer N54L Fan Noise

On 02/06/15 13:12, Dan Smith wrote:
Good afternoon folks,

I have had a HP ProLiant MicroServer N54L for over a year now and I have it sat in my bedroom whirring away 24/7, unless it ever needs to be powered down for any maintenance.

The one thing that has started to get irritating is how noisy the fan that comes with the server can be, you maybe thinking "Why not just move it out of your bedroom what is it doing even sat in there in the first place?"
The answer to that is there is nowhere else suitable to put it in the house, the loft has no sockets sadly so it cant be moved up there, nor the under stairs cupboard.

I was thinking of changing the fan but it is HP proprietary stuff, anyone have any ideas/solutions? I know the fan can be changed with a little bit of butchering the cables.

Regards

Dan

Dan

Does the loft have a light switch? My server is in the loft after I spliced in a power switch off the light circuit. It's been running up the for 10 years+.

Fortunately, I've been able to run my router and firewall up there too with a couple of cables dropping down into the office where the phone line and ethernet switch is.

Martin