Re: [LUG] Best linux distro for home file server

On 25/04/15 16:14, damian brown wrote:
> hey guys
>
> just wondering what you would recommend as a linux distro for a file
> server, must be lightweight and easy to set-up
>
> must also support windows clients so that means it needs to have ntfs
> read and write support
>
> raid support would also be nice as well.
>
> also do you guys know of any programs where users can access there files
> via a web browser, it would be nice to have people there own login where
> there files cant be seen by other people and they can upload and
> download  via the web browser. i know HFS can do this in windows so im
> wondering if someone as made the same thing for linux

To be honest, you'd have to look pretty hard for something that
*doesn't* support RAID in this day and age so I wouldn't worry about
that at all: hardware RAID is actually a bit old hat now when you have
options like Linux software RAID, ZFS RAIDZ or even BTRFS or HAMMER,
etc. Others may well argue otherwise, but I'm a big fan of these modern
COW storage solutions with infinite snapshotting, online dedupe, data
scrubbing, etc.

It's not Linux, but I'd highly advise you to have a look at a turnkey
appliance such as FreeNAS: http://www.freenas.org/

BSD rather than Linux, but still free as in libre software, well
supported, frequently updated and stupid-easy to use and admin. Most of
your interactions with it will be through a simple web interface.
Supports just about everything under the sun from being an Apple time
machine volume, running AD as a DC for Windows (seriously), NFS, iSCSI,
CIFS, DNLA the lot. There are plugins for everything you can think of
probably. Runs natively on ZFS, the final word in filesystems.

"i know HFS can do this in windows"

 I must confess you've lost me there... HFS normally makes me think of
the awful default Mac OS filesystem rather than windows. Feel free to
expand if it's important.