Re: [LUG] 20150419 Advice on USB Key live drive, please

On 19/04/2015 22:57, bad apple wrote:
> On 19/04/15 22:05, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>> Dear folk,
>> 20150419 Advice on USB Key live drive, please
>>
>> I have set up a Live Linux Mint USB key for someone to use to operate a
>> hand-me-down MS Windows 7 (illegal OS upgrade) computer for his email
>> and web browsing.
>>
>> Fine with persistence set albeit small memory size.
>> However if I add a separate user name say "Blogs" with password, this
>> would I believe, allow him alone to access that user and his private
>> email inside Blogs, as opposed to him and world using machine on Live
>> linux to browse.
>> For many reasons , no dual booting set up used.
>> Any help appreciated.
>>

> You'll almost definitely want to encrypt the user Blogs' home partition
> or just the entire stick - USB pendrives are easily lost or stolen.
>
> Easy guide here:
>
> http://www.itninja.com/blog/view/create-a-bootable-encrypted-usb-running-linux-mint-16
>
> To answer your question directly, yes, you are correct - that is
> basically the whole concept of "users" in an operating system. You
> assign each person a set of resources and restrict access to them with a
> password. It's perhaps worth pointing out that with a USB stick based
> install, that authentication system is trivially bypassed by simply
> plugging it into any other Linux computer which will immediately quite
> happily automount your (presumably) LVM/ext4 filesystems. If that's a
> worry, then encrypt (which is probably best practice anyway) but if it
> seems like too much effort, don't bother.
>
> Hope that helps.

Thanks.
Thank you for link, I am much obliged.
I will discuss with him, to see what he wants. Basic just user+password
or user+password on encrypted /home. He is not technically 'computer
literate' albeit was and is an extremely skilled mechanical craftsman.
PS It is not a USB stick based install , but a Live Linux user system.
I will show him my own (handy as kept in base of sporran) encrypted
Knoppix system on his as an example.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald